Part of Walt’s vision for Disney is that you feel like you are in the movie. If you have never seen the movie, how can you fully appreciate the attraction? Disney puts so many details in the parks, it is really amazing to see how precise and into it they get. Here area 20 must see movies to watch before you go and which attractions match it. Make family movie nights with these movies by adding themed snacks and crafts. The possibilities are endless!
Print this FREE Disney Family Movie Nights Movie Checklist!
20 Must See Movies Before Going to Walt Disney World
- Avatar (2009)– They are dedicating a whole section of Animal Kingdom for this movie and it is expected to be completed sometime in 2016. You can also check out how Avatar scenes are made with the FREE and highly rated Avatar: Making a Scene.
- Tangled (2010)– You need to check out the detailed bathrooms (and surrounding area) in the Magic Kingdom New Fantasy Land area for all the Tangled touches. You can meet Rapunzel in Princess Fairytale Hall, and there is also a Tangled float in Festival of Fantasy Parade.
- Beauty and the Beast– You can see Beauty & the Beast Live on Stage in Hollywood Studios, Take part of the movie with Enchanted Tales with Belle in the Magic Kingdom, and meet Belle outside of France in Epcot (pre-princess attire). Check out my Beauty and the Beast Movie Date Night.
- Peter Pan (1953)– You can ride Peter Pan’s Flight in the Magic Kingdom, meet Peter Pan outside of his ride, and there is a very elaborate Float in Festival of Fantasy Parade in Peter Pan’s honor. You can also meet Tinkerbell inside of Magic Kingdom’s Town Hall, she also flies from Tomorrowland to Cinderella Castle to start Wishes.
- Brave– You can meet Merida from Brave and see her elaborate float in Festival of Fantasy Parade. Be on the look out for her three little bear brothers hiding on the float.
- The Princess and the Frog- Princess Tiana has a Meet and Greet in the Magic Kingdom and the gang from teh movie is in teh new castle show Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire.
- Cinderella (1950)– Her castle is in the Magic Kingdom. Make sure you check several Cinderella references in Fantasyland, and meet her either in the Princess Fairytale Hall, lunch or dinner at 1900 Park Faire, or Cinderella’s Royal Table.
- Snow White– You can ride the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Ride and visit Snow White at the Meet and Greet in the Magic Kingdom or Epcot.
- Toy Story 1, 2, 3– Ride Toy Story Mania in Hollywood Studios, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin in the Magic Kingdom, Meet and Greet with Woody, Jesse, and Buzz in the Magic Kingdom. Meet and Greet with Woody, Buzz, toy soldiers in Hollywood Studios.
- Monster Inc. and Monster’s University– Take an active part in the fun with Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.
- Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI)– You can ride Star Wars Tours, take part in the Jedi Academy, meet Chewie, Kylo Ren, and Storm troopers at the Launch Bay at Hollywood Studios.
- Alice in Wonderland– Character meet and greet areas in front of the Teacups at the Magic Kingdom and in Epcot. The teacups have so many movie details in and around the ride.
- Mary Poppins-There is a super fun Character Meet and & Greet in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. She is very fun to interact with using bits from the movie.
- The Sword in the Stone– They have the sword you can try to pull out in front of Cinderella’s Carousel which is a great photo opp, plus sometimes during shows you have your chance to pull the sword from the stone.
- The Little Mermaid– Enjoy the whimsical float in the Festival of Fantasy Parade, ride the Under the Sea- Journey of the Little Mermaid in the Magic Kingdom, visit Ariel’s Grotto where you can interact with Ariel. There is also the Little Mermaid Show at Hollywood Studios.
- A Bug’s Life – Bug’s Life show in the Animal Kingdom, plus a meet and greet with Flik!
- The Haunted Mansion– Instead of the ride matching the movie, this is one where the movie was made because of the ride. Read my Haunted Mansion Movie review to see my thoughts on it.
- Finding Nemo– The Seas with Nemo & Friends in Epcot, Turtle Talk with Crush in Epcot. They added Bailey, Destiny, and Hank from Finding Dory to the Turtle Talk Show.
- The Lion King– Festival of the Lion King in Animal Kingdom, The Circle of Life attraction in Epcot
- Song of the South– Splash Mountain. This movie is really hard to find because Disney pulled it. You can though see The Adventures of Brer Rabbit.
I know there are other movie details in the park, but in my opinion these are the best movies to watch before you go. I am guessing you probably have already seen Frozen. Any other must see movies you would include in this list? Let me know in the comments.
Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like A2M Travel. They’ll help you get the best price for your vacation, share expert advice, and their services are totally FREE!