For my Beauty & The Beast Inspired date, we had French Onion Soup. So, it would be ready when we got home from our date I made it in the crockpot.
French Onion Soup
- 3 large onions, sliced (3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) ready-to-serve beef broth ( I did mine with 1/2 red wine to give it a little more flavor- it is great either way)
Cheesy Broiled French Bread
- 8 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Put the butter and onions in the crockpot on high for about 2 hours. Before placing the lid on, place 2 paper towels under the lid to catch extra condensation. This will help the carmelization of the onions. After 2 hours, let onions continue to carmelize for another 8 hours.
- Mix flour, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir flour mixture and broth into onions. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 9 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours).
- Prepare Cheesy Broiled French Bread. Place 1 slice bread on top of each bowl of soup.