Since I usually pack a lunch to the Magic Kingdom, I don’t eat much counter service food. Since I have been going to Disney a lot more lately, I have started packing my lunch a little less and trying out some yummy, frugal options at Disney. One of my favorites is the Corn Dog Nuggets found at Casey’s Corner at the Magic Kingdom. The portion is huge. You get a huge handful of corn dog nuggets and a huge helping of fries as well. Today I am sharing my version of Casey’s Corner Corn Dog Nuggets recipe.
The corn dog nuggets at Casey’s Corner are perfectly crisp and have a sweetness to them. My cornbread recipe is a little sweet as well so that is my base.
I make the cornbread mix first. You could probably use a box mix, but I prefer homemade.
Next, I prepared the hotdogs. Ballpark Hotdogs were Buy-One, Get-One Free so I had grabbed those. I cut each hot dog in thirds.
Next each hot dog piece got dusted in cornstarch so the batter could stick. Then I the put the dusted corn dogs in the cornmeal batter. Let the hot dog sit about 10 seconds in the batter, it makes the batter stick to the hot dog better.
Then into the oil they went. It took just 1-2 minutes for a batch to get done on both sides.
They were so good!
Looking to turn this Disney recipe into a Family Movie Night?
- Disney’s Classic Make Mine Music has the animated version of Casey at the Bat.
- Disney’s Million Dollar Arm rated PG is a great family baseball themed movie.
- Serve the Corn Dog Nuggets and Fries in containers just like at Casey’s Corner. They have similar ones on Amazon.
Corn Dog Nuggets Recipe
- Cornbread Batter:
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 TBL. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 (16 oz.) package beef hotdogs, each cut lengthwise into 3 pieces
- Combine the dry ingredients for the cornmeal better in a medium bowl: cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder.
- In a smaller bowl beat together the egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Don’t over mix.
- In a deep cast iron skillet, pour the vegetable oil to a depth of 4 inches. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cornstarch in a small bowl. Place 1 hot dog piece on a toothpick. Dredge the hot dogs in cornstarch, gently tapping off the excess.
- Dip corn corn dogs into corn bread mix,
- Carefully drop 3-4 corn dog nuggets into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat frying until all pieces are done.
You might also enjoy: