If you are familiar with runDisney you have probably heard the name, Jeff Galloway. He develops the training programs for the runDisney races. With my Disney Princess 10K coming up, I am doing the Jeff Galloway 10K training program. To get even more excited about my upcoming race, I decided to head out to the runDisney expo. I had never been before and I had so much fun. One thing I got to do was sit in on Jeff Galloway sharing some training advice. The Jeff Galloway Training Program is a perfect way for plus-sized people, like me, to complete a runDisney race.
Jeff Galloway Training Program
Jeff Galloway’s Training system is a run/walk interval training system. You complete 2 training sessions during the week and an endurance walk on the weekend. Though I was a little naughty and started my training later than I was supposed to, I am sticking to his training schedule and feel like I will be able to complete the Disney Princess 10K without getting swept. You can print out the complete training schedule for free at the runDisney Website.
Plus Size runDisney Training
The Galloway system of training is great for plus size people because it is very easy for walkers to follow. Right now I am working on a 10/50 interval. This means I am power-walking or jogging for 10 seconds and then walking for the other 50 seconds. I plan to be at a 20/40 interval in time for my race. Can I handle 10 seconds of intense activity, yes! It is bite sized so I can handle it. The feeling of accomplishment after a training session is great, I can only imagine what crossing that finish line is going to feel like! See this post to see what inspired me to sign up for my first runDisney race.
You can get a run/walk timer from Amazon or you can just use apps on your phone. I used the Interval Timer App and Run Keeper along with My Fitness Pal to track my progress. When I am not doing a training session, my Fitbit lets me know my activity levels.
What I Learned Listening to Jeff Galloway
I didn’t get a chance to listen to his whole talk, but the 30ish minutes I did get to listen to him I learned a lot and was inspired. Here are a few of the things I learned.
- Stretching before and after a race can be dangerous. Basically, there is no research saying that stretching before a big race is good, but there is research that backs up that stretching could hurt you and slow down your recovery time.
- The day before the race drink 8-12 ounces of water every hour. I think this is going to be hard for me to remember to space it out that way, but I am going to try.
- The morning of the race drink 6-8 ounces of water as soon as you get up. Either eat no breakfast or eat something simple that you know that is easy for you to digest. Jeff Galloway suggested toast.
- During the race drink 2-4 ounces of water every hour.
- Every 2 miles, eat 30-40 grams of sugar for fuel.
- Dress in layers that you can open and or toss away on the course.
If you are training for a runDisney race, are you using Jeff Galloway’s Training Program? If not, which training program are you using?
Need some more runDisney Inspiration? Check out these amazing stories!